Monday, April 23, 2007

You Can Take The Boy Out Of The Classroom...

...then you can beat him up and take his lunch money.

As many of you know, I have spent a lot of time in school, post-secondary school that is. In fact, many of you have made fun of me for being in school so long. "When will you graduate? When will you graduate? Get out of school! Enough is enough already!"

At first it was just my peers who made fun of me. Then some of the older people at church started making fun of me.

I learned something then about being a student. If you have a full time job in your field, but you take one course in school you're seen as a student who has a job, rather than a worker who's taking a class. For the record, I did my entire university degree while working as a computer programmer. Not exactly flipping burgers.

Anyway. I digress.

I have finished all of my classes to get a B.Sc. in Computer Science, and should receive my degree this summer. I have a job, but after ten years of post-secondary school, I still haven't got enough school.

No. I don't plan on going back, but I have found the next best thing! Podcasts!!!

I went into the iTunes music store and looked at the podcast section. I started finding the coolest podcasts. I found a few French tutorial podcasts, an absolutely terrific Japanese tutorial podcast, and some music podcasts.

Those were neat enough. But then I found something else. Berkeley professors have started recording their lectures, and putting them up on iTunes Music Store as a podcast. One psychology professor from my alma mater, Algoma University, is doing the same.

So I've subscribed to a number of these. They include Social Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Statistics, Human Emotion, and some general psychology. I wonder if I can get some kind of honourary psychology degree from Berkeley for this.

So, if you haven't yet, go to Apple's website, download iTunes (it's free), check out the iTunes Music Store, select "Podcasts" and search to your heart's content. Expand your horizons. Learn about something you've always wanted to know. Find independent music from Canada, and around the world. And best of all, it's all free!

No comments: