Monday, October 24, 2011

First Year Update

It has now been over a year since I moved into my own apartment. I've blogged about my blinds, my couches, and some decisions I had to make about moving out (TV options, moving options, etc.)

How has my first year been?

First, the bad.
  1. The walls are a lot thinner than I have ever had before. I pretty much know everything that goes on in my bedroom-neighbour's bedroom.
  2. The elevators are constantly breaking down.
  3. This is the first time I've lived alone since I was in school and working at the same time. So there has been some loneliness.
  4. I'd like to buy a condo or house to get some better sound-proofing so I'd actually like to be home. But, given the uncertainty in the government for IT staff, maybe dropping most of my cash into one non-liquid investment isn't so wise. (More on that here.)

But, there's been more good than bad. Given my TV Fast (more on that here) that I mentioned in a previous blog, I've had time to do things.
  1. I have a games night with some friends on a weekly basis.  It's nice to have my own guests over without having to worry about the schedules of other people living in my home.  It's also nice to not have to worry that someone else in your home is going to have a gathering when it's inconvenient for you.
  2. I have spent a lot of time at Chapters - which I can see from my living room window. In fact, to date, I have read four complete books there, just a few pages at a time.
  3. The theatre next to me occasionally shows older movies for $5. I can go from my apartment to being in a seat in the theatre within 15 minutes. Yet, I have not seen as many movies as I thought I would have.
  4. I have gotten some coding done as well. I have made improvements to the Nordburg Music Database, as well as some other little programs I have written, or am in the process of writing.
  5. I have done some cooking too. I picked a cookbook my mom gave me years ago to work my way through. Unfortunately, it's a very basic cookbook, and therefore not great. It'll prevent starvation, but there's only been one recipe that I've memorized. I look forward to continuing in this.
  6. I have taken up Tai Chi. I try to go to class twice a week, and right now I'm helping out with a beginner's class one night a week. I also try to go to various workshops, instructor training, and other events put on by the Society.
  7. I've been investigating different housing/condo options just in case the government lets me keep my job.
  8. And I've been been working on my French, but not as much as I ought.

No comments: