Friday, December 19, 2008

Now What Do I Do?

Just last week I shared an article on the evil record industry.

Earlier this week I wrote a piece, to be published today, on the OC Transpo strike.

What a difference a week makes!

Almost everything I wrote in the bus strike piece is out of date. The city and the union may start talking tomorrow. I thought that in this case the drivers weren't getting any sympathy from the public. Then I heard that lack-of-sympathy is shifting to the city. I won't be publishing that piece.

Then this! According to Today's Article, the record industry (RIAA) is changing their strategy. They've decided to stop suing the little guy. They're going to start working with ISPs to target piracy.

I want to be clear on an issue. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know how I feel about the recording industry. You probably think I'm some kind of libertarian who believes all intellectual property should be free to everyone.

That's not the case. My CD collection is over 200. I used to wag my finger at people who "shared" music. Then two things happened:
  1. I read the Canadian Copyright Act which said that copying music for personal use did not constitute piracy. We also pay a heavy levy on our blank media to pay for this personal copying.
  2. The recording industry started suing single mothers, a homeless guy, a dead guy, disabled people, etc. This made me just sick with them.
I started to only purchase independent music.

The recording industry isn't dropping any outstanding lawsuits. They're just not launching any new ones.

So, what do I do now? Do I buy some music? Do I continue the boycott until they drop the lawsuits? Maybe just buy some non-DRM music from iTunes Music Store? I believe good behaviour should be rewarded, and I've had my eye on David Gilmour's Live in Gdansk.

Before I decide that, I will say this to the recording industry:

Thank you! Good for you!

No comments: