Monday, February 16, 2009

My New Child

I have a kid. Well, sort of. She's not actually my child. I'm not even sure how to pronounce her name. But she has the cutest name for me. She calls me "Sponsor." For, you see, she's my World Vision child.

She's not my first World Vision child. I had one before. I had her for many years. I got my first World Vision child about 8 years ago. I liked her. We had an understanding. Apart from my monthly contribution, I ignored her, and she ignored me. It worked well.

Until this year. I got a letter from World Vision saying that sometimes families are hard to keep track of. They move around, and it's easy to lose them. They gave me a new child. Apparently, she isn't entering our relationship with the same set of presuppositions as my last child. I've only had her for a couple of months, and she's already sent me a letter.

Given the handwriting, I assumed the letter was written by my child. But at the bottom it said that it was translated and written by someone else. This "someone else" has the hand writing of a child. I had to wonder why they would have a child translating and rewriting another child's writing. I thought to myself "Maybe, it's one of Kathy-Lee's kids."

Now I'll feel guilty if I don't write back. If you've ever emailed me, you know how long you can wait for a reply. Snail mail is ten times worse. By the time I write back, she may be all grown up with kids of her own. I don't know if I can handle the guilt for that long.

At first I thought "If she wants to know about me and my life, she should just read my blog." But, I don't know if they've installed the tubes to carry the internets into her village yet. And she might not understand English. I don't know how good Google's English - Elbonian translator is.

No comments: