Monday, October 06, 2008

All Is Revealed

A few weeks ago, I posted a Coffee Cup Art piece with a bonus question. I asked what that piece was making reference to.

It's supposed to be a picture of the Battersea Power Station in London, built along the River Thames. That's where the pictures for the artwork of Pink Floyd's Animals album were taken. The picture I used when drawing this can be seen here.

A few interesting facts concerning this post:
  • The Battersea Power Station was used for some filming for the Dark Knight movie.
  • There were 2 parts to the power station. Part A was decommissioned in 1975. Part B was decommissioned in 1983.
  • The power station was used for the cover art of the 1977 Pink Floyd album, Animals. An inflatable pig (as depicted in my coffee cup) was used for the photo-shoot. The pig broke away, and flew into Heathrow's flight path.
  • I posted this coffee cup the same week that Pink Floyd's keyboardist, Richard Wright, passed on to play that great gig in the sky. I didn't plan on that. I uploaded this post months ago. Pure coincidence.
  • Battersea Power Station was designed by the same guy who designed London's red telephone booths.

No comments: