Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I Got A Virus!

I received a virus the other day via email. Now, many of you know I don't run Windows. I have a Linux desktop, and a Mac laptop. Those systems are generally free of viruses. (People say when Mac becomes more popular there will be more virii. This may be so, but Mac OS X is much more popular than Mac OS 9, and lower, but they had virii, and OS X doesn't...until now.)

This is a pretty nasty bug, so everyone be on the lookout. This is the email message I received in my inbox:


Thou hast just received the Amish Virus.

As we haveth no technology nor programming experience, this virus worketh on the honour system. Please delete all the files from thy hard drive and manually forward this virus to all on thy mailing list.

We thank thee for thy cooperation.

— The Amish Computer Engineering Dept.



I know I don't have to delete everything, but when the Amish tell you to do something, and reinforce it by telling you that you're on the honour system, an honourable person, such as myself, has no choice but to follow through.

I happen to have admin privs on both my computers, so I figured I'd go the extra mile and delete everything, not just what I had in the account of the user who received the virus. I write this from work, where I don't have write privs to many directories so I shouldn't loose too much here.

But this really sucks because I don't have any backups! When will I learn to backup?!?!

No comments: